Spring 2023 – Pre-School Programs
The Ecology Centre has a spring and fall school program season. Spring in-person programs begin the first week of April and end on the third week of June. Fall in-person programs begin the third week of September and end the last week of November. In-person programs run Monday to Friday mornings and begin at 10 am. If you’re interested in programs outside of our normal school program season, check out our self-guided Eye Spy program or virtual field-trips!
Booking a School Program
Guided field-trips are BOOKED FULL for Spring 2023. Virtual and self-guided programs are still available.
Fill out the form below for virtual or self-guided programs. One of our staff members will review your information and contact you with the next steps to confirm a booking, or to request more information if needed. We will respond to inquiries in the order they are received. You can also book a field-trip over the phone during the week at 604-990-3755 or by email at [email protected].
In order to allow as many schools as possible to come on a field-trip with us, schools can book a maximum of 3 field-trips per season.
School Program Fees
Our program fees vary according to group size and the duration of the program. Our 2023 fees are:
- Up to 12 preschoolers – $98.00
- 13 to 24 preschoolers – $174.50
- $3.00 – per child for virtual programs and self-guided programs (Eye Spy)
- $2.00 – per child to visit the Ecology Centre and watch a nature video
Minimum cost of $30.00 for virtual and self-guided programs with less than 10 children.
Note that we only run one class field-trip at a time (maximum 24 preschoolers). For preschools wanting to bring more than one class, please consider our self-guided programs.
Any program cancellations will be charged a $25 administration fee. Programs that are cancelled with less than 3 weeks notice will be charged a $50 fee.
Runs September to November and April to June.
For groups of up to 24 children ages 3 to 5.
10 am to 11:30 am or 1:00 to 2:30 pm.
What’s For Lunch?
The forest is full of food. Discover the food chains of Lynn Canyon Park! Read a story, search for animal food, and view forest life up close with our amazing projector!
Look out below! If you love worms, mud, and fossils, this program will help you explore the world beneath your feet. See fossils from Walter Draycott’s collections, and learn about animals that use rocks and soil as their home.
Do your students just love bugs? Search for little critters in the forest and learn about the importance of our local invertebrates through outdoor exploration and a story.
Mondays to Friday at 1:00 pm – 1:45 pm
Cost: $3.00 per child
These virtual programs are best suited for children ages 3 – 5.
What’s for Lunch?
The forest is full of food and animals need to find it. Discover the food chains of Lynn Canyon Park! We’ll read a story, search for animals eating food in the forest, and take a look at animal teeth and claws.
If you love worms, soil, and fossils, this program will help you explore the world beneath your feet. We’ll show you fossils from Walter Draycott’s collections, and learn about animals that use rocks and soil as their home.
Do the children in your preschool or daycare love bugs? We’ll read a buggy story, find some bugs living in the forest near the Ecology Centre, and then zoom in for a close-up look at a bug friend with our special magnifier.
Maximum 30 children plus adults
30 minute self-guided Ecology Centre tour – $3.00 per child
Go on a scavenger hunt to discover nature pictures hidden in the Ecology Centre displays. Receive a small prize when you complete the Eye Spy booklet and then enjoy a nature video in our theatre. Free if booked with a guided program.
Getting Ready for Your Visit
How to Prepare for the Field Trip
- To get ready for your visit, please review information sent to you by e-mail.
- Plan to arrive in the park at 9:45 am or 12:45 pm to leave 15 minutes for a snack and toilet break before you come into the Ecology Centre. This is especially important if you are visiting with younger children. There is no snack break during the program.
- It’s often wet in the mountains, even if it’s not raining elsewhere in Metro Vancouver. Make sure that students and adult assistants are dressed for the weather. Please ask your students and assistants to come wearing layers, with waterproof boots and a waterproof jacket. Rain pants are also highly recommended!
- Remind adult assistants that the forest is a great place to unwind… and unplug. Please leave electronic devices at home. If you’d like to take photographs, keep your camera or phone in a zippered pocket during the rest of the field trip to make sure that it is safe and dry.
When you arrive at the Ecology Centre, check in at the front desk. As your students explore the Centre, our program staff will speak with you about the program and the learning needs of your group.
If you are planning on eating lunch after the program, please note there are undercover picnic tables located between the upper and lower parking lots.
Getting to the Park
Lynn Canyon Park is easy to access.
- Public transit. Take the #227 community shuttle to Peters Road at Duval Road or the #228 bus to Burrill Avenue and Lynn Valley Road.
- Private bus. Bus parking is limited. Please notify us in advance if you will be arriving by private bus so we can make arrangements for parking.
- Car. If you’re visiting with parent drivers, the closest parking to the Ecology Centre is the upper paved parking lot. Pay parking is in effect seasonally from March 1 to October 31. Parking is $3 per hour, for a maximum of 4 hours. The parking meter only accepts credit cards. District residents are eligible to purchase a $10.20 annual DNV Park Parking Pass that will enable them to park in the lot without paying the hourly rate. More information is available here.